All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have many brand-new techniques and clinical advancements emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides millions of people the opportunity to minimize or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and fast method to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting referrals from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be tricked by fancy ads about a particular laser. Pick the medical professional, not the laser.
3. Select a physician who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a physician doesn't know can hurt you.
4. Request info on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your doctor will not inform you, discover another one. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated before your eye laser surgery to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as good as a discount rate parachute. The possible cost savings are unworthy the threat of getting less than skilled care!
7. Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, but do not anticipate to see perfectly. Each patient gets a slightly different outcome. The finest cosmetic surgeon in the world cannot ensure 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as private as each client. Be careful of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. If your pop over to these guys level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or two, implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting until the new lenses are readily available. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the eyesight of countless people around the globe.